[mythtv-users] Anyone using VNC on CentOS 6?

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Wed Sep 5 00:53:26 UTC 2012

On 9/4/2012 3:36 PM, Jameson wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 4:44 PM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:
>> However, the CentOS 6 x86_64 frontend-only box I've got up and running right
>> now crashes when I access it over VNC. vncserver *does* work from a regular
>> user account but somehow the instance of vnc associated with the
>> mythfrontend X session will momentarily flash a black screen then the entire
>> X session crashes.
>
> Not sure why that account would cause a problem, but maybe you'd have
> better luck with x11vnc -display :0.
>
> =-Jameson

Maybe a bit more detail will help. They way I've always configured it is
through /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Adding

Load  "vnc"

to the Module section and

Option      "PasswordFile" "/path/to/the/passwdfile"

in the Screen section. /var/log/Xorg.0.log shows the vnc module loading.

Then when mythfrontend starts on that host, the display that is shown on
the TV is also accessible via VNC. All I need to do is run vncviewer on
Windows. It's really been much easier than installing X on Windows.

Now it has *not* been a way to remotely view content. Never meant to use
it that way. Just to 1) Confirm X is running if I have the box sitting
next to me without a TV attached or 2) Enter text in one of the setup
screens without having to attach a keyboard.

As I said, if I ssh into the box as some user *other* than the user I'm
running mythfrontend as and then run vncserver, *that* X session is rock
solid. I can connect to that new desktop just fine. But mythfrontend run
as configured above is having problems.