[mythtv-users] 0.25->0.26: problems with high mem consumption and oom kils

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Sep 5 13:00:34 UTC 2012

On 09/04/2012 01:34 PM, Tyler T wrote:
>>> Why bother trying to diagnose it? Why not add swap space?
>>> The other option is to add more RAM.
> If it's a memory leak, it'll still crash with 32GB of RAM installed...
> just takes a little longer.

Remember, though, that memory use is not necessarily a memory leak

>> BE seems to be little different story: 800-900MB for it seems to be little
>> too high, especially compared with 250-300MB I usually observed in 0.25
> Agreed. Have you considered enabling verbose logging and submitting a
> bug report?

which is why you'll need much more than just MythTV logs to file a
memory leak bug (we don't actually add in log messages that say, "this
will leak memory," since we fix known leaks :).  You'd need to run
valgrind and submit a valgrind log that shows a real memory leak (or
point out flawed code that results in a leak).

Mike