[mythtv-users] A few 0.25 mythfilldatabase questions

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 14:46:38 UTC 2012

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 11:18 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 09/04/2012 06:08 PM, Tom Dexter wrote:
>>
>> I've been preparing to upgrade to 0.25 from 0.24 (running under
>> Gentoo). A few things have me a little confused as to the changes in
>> mythfilldatabase:
>>
>> My current setup has the --refresh-today option added in my settings.
>> If I remember correctly, that gets me today in addition to
>> tomorrow(??).  I'm not clear as to how to get that same functionality
>> with the new syntax.  The wiki help on --refresh isn't very specific
>> as to what the options are.
>

> What listings source?  If you're using Schedules Direct, you should really
> use --dd-grab-all , and just get all the data they have in one download to
> make sure you always have the most-current data for every day of listings.
>
> See
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/449426#449426
> and
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/449416#449416
> for details about --dd-grab-all .

That's awesome...I wasn't aware of that, or the fact that it gets the
data in one fetch.  I just tried it, and even though my backend is a
dated 2.8 Ghz P4 with 1GB of ram, the fact that I use only OTA (with
pretty small list of channels) makes performance a non-issue.  The
whole thing took just a few minutes.  I'm also almost never recording
anything when it runs anyway.  Great stuff.  Thanks for the info on
mythfilldatabase inheriting the backend log options too.

I may just leave the db logging on and see how it goes.  One concern I
had is that I've seen my logs get pretty busy in the past from ffmeg
messages when bad weather/reception has causes a recording to be a
little dodgy...especially during comflagging.  Is there some good way
around that?

Thanks again!
Tom