[mythtv-users] Anyone using VNC on CentOS 6?

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Wed Sep 5 19:55:23 UTC 2012

On 2012-09-05 2:38 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 9/4/2012 17:29, Ben Kamen wrote:
>> I've also set up the Xvncserver sessions that allow for a fully running
>> session at all times out in virtual land (not via local console).
>
> An all too easily forgotten DEFAULT BEHAVIOR for VNC... I never did understand why everyone seems to insist on using VNC as a mirror for the local X server.

I think part if it is the learned tendency by modern "single user at a time" computer users.

If you grew up on DOS/Windows, you might have a natural tendency to think of "remote use" as one that's through something like VNC since only one person can use the computer anyway.

Without Unix experience with remote desktops like X, even a lot of new Linux users tend to sway that way not realizing that X (and MS RDP) allows complete divorcing the user's desktop from the machine running the software turning the local user interface into nothing more than a thin client. (I still have some NCD terminals. I'm going to hook them up again some day.)

X (and MS RDP) can be some mighty cool stuff.

When I had my NCD displays running off my RS/6000, without even being logged in, I had a script that would check to see if the terminal was up and online and then push weather graphics to the root display for that terminal. t'was fun.

  -Ben