[mythtv-users] Anyone using VNC on CentOS 6?

Michael mythtv at blandford.net
Thu Sep 6 14:56:50 UTC 2012

On 09/06/2012 07:21 AM, Kirk Bocek wrote:

> On 9/5/2012 10:16 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>
>> The misunderstanding is that we're assuming you would just start up an
>> independent instance of mythfrontend in which to make whatever changes
>> you want, while you are wanting to access the specific instance already
>> open and running on your local X terminal.
>
> Never thought of trying that route. That would mean:
> 1. Shutting down the real frontend
> 2. Configuring a temporary frontend with *same* hostname as the real
> frontend so configuration changes are saved to the same place.

I don't think it has to be that complicated.

1) Shutdown the mythtv process on the working frontend
2) start a new copy of the mythfrontend on the frontend system in a VNC
session or run over ssh -Y

alternately, you can pass the host identified when starting
mythfrontend.  Then you could run the frontend on any sytem and make the
changes.

Michael