[mythtv-users] DVD iso won't show menus

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Sep 6 15:41:41 UTC 2012

On 09/06/2012 09:24 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On 12-09-06 09:17 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> The only thing of importance when it comes to MythTV is that MythTV has
>> no code to try to work around broken/non-compliant discs or any kinds of
>> copy protection, including structure protection.  So, whatever you do,
>> you'll need to get a good video without any of the garbage or MythTV
>> probably won't be able to play it properly.
> But as has been asked/discussed here before, why can't Mythtv just do
> what the hardware players do and only navigate where being told to so
> that it doesn't crap out on these invalid structures, which it's not
> supposed to come across since they are apparently outside of the
> navigable areas of the DVD?

This is why I said to play the /original/ disc in MythTV and see if it
works.  If so, the problem is /definitely/ the dodgy rip, likely created
by the broken/non-compliant disc.  MythTV plays DVDs properly.  I'm
saying the rip is likely broken more than the broken-by-design (but
still playable by most players--including, probably, MythTV) disc.

Mike