[mythtv-users] Alternative to Silicondust HDHR3-6CC-2X3?

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Thu Sep 6 18:49:49 UTC 2012

> Be careful here, I bought a power splitter and it actually caused the loss
>> of some channels.
>> One of which my wife likes to watch.
>> I had to pay to have the CCo come out and raise the power enough to
>> overcome the passive splitter losses.
>> Needless to say, this did not make me a bigger fan of the CCo.
>>
>> There seems to me some wonderful and creative engineering going on here.
>> Some of the main channels are very fussy about the plumbing downstream
>> from the cable while
>> the junk channels would probably be OK using old speaker wire.
>>
>>   My TV provider is Comcast, if that makes a difference.

>> I bought an amplified splitter off eBay. I have a 2-way passive splitter
> at the ingress, with one cable going to the modem and the other the
> amplified splitter. From there all my runs go direct to their respective
> devices, including my HDHR prime. It works quite well for my home setup.
> When I get home I can post the manufacturer and model of the splitter, if
> anybody cares.
>
> In a perfect world the only cables going to my TVs would be Ethernet, but
> the tech isn't quite there yet, and with my penchant for watching live TV
> combined with the copy-protection flag crap that so many channels use, it
> may never happen.

Putting the amp at "the ingress" is the safest place to put one... using it
further down the line, after having already reduced the signal with
splitters and long cable runs, will often result in reduced signal QUALITY,
which is far more important than signal strength.   Obviously if your
signal coming in is very strong to begin with, you may get away with it,
but typically the cable companies only put out a signal strong enough to go
through 7-10 dB worth of loss, which will occur with a 4 way split and a
long cable run.  Amplifying the signal after a 7dB drop will likely result
in a high strength but poor quality signal... at least in my experience.