[mythtv-users] What is commflag "exit status 140"?

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 22:47:10 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Doug Lytle <support at drdos.info> wrote:
> I've seen this quite often as well since moving to .25.  Not a memory issue,
> not a disk space issue.  I can turn around and kick off (Via mythweb) a
> comflag and 70% of the time it'll complete. The other times, I can do this 3
> or 4 times before it will complete.

I occasionally get mythcommflag crashes (ultimately manifesting as
exit status 140) on noisy OTA recordings, generally channels with a
relatively weak signal.  If you could arrange to get a core file and
use gdb to get a stack trace, you would probably find the crash within
ffmpeg code.  If it's not crashing every time, it's probably due to
the code acting on uninitialized data, thanks to unexpected data in
the noisy recording.  Valgrind can usually help find the source of
uninitialized data accesses, especially on a non-interactive
application like mythcommflag.  I have seen hints of these problems,
but I haven't dug into them because finding and maintaining ffmpeg bug
fixes across future resyncs is not something to take lightly.

Jim