[mythtv-users] HDHomeRuns on Separate Subnet

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Mon Sep 10 19:25:32 UTC 2012

> I just read in this list recently someone mentioning they put their
> HDHomeRuns on a separate, self contained network with their backend.  I am
> going to do the same because my backend is also my "file server" and I have
> had times where recordings are cranking, and it take minutes to open my
> Quicken file (for example), so I'm looking to alleviate some of this
> network congestion.   I can't seem to find the post where the person
> outlined what they do....I recall they set it up to simply use APIPA.
>
> Once I install the second NIC in my backend (tonight, time permitting),
> I'll give it an address of 169.254.blah.blah and it will be hooked up to a
> 4 port switch with my HDHomeRuns and nothing else.  I know the HDHomERuns
> will also get 169.254.blah.blah addresses once DHCP fails.
>
> My big question is, do I have to do anything internally on my backend
> machine (routing, etc) to allow mythbackend running on eth0 192.168.1.x be
> able to see and use the data from the HdHomeRuns on eth1 169.254.blah.blah?
>  I'm running Mythbutnu 12.04.  My cards are NOT setup by ip address, they
> are setup by HdHomeRun IDs.

On the backend, force it to pick a 169.254..x.x address by using the
following lines in your interfaces file ('ipv4ll' is a relatively new
option, easier than using 'static'):

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet ipv4ll

No need to configure routes, the HDHR's will not be accessible to devices
on your existing network, but your backend should have no problem seeing
them.