[mythtv-users] MythTV on Android

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Sep 10 22:19:47 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Eric Sharkey" <eric at lisaneric.org>

> On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 9:24 PM, Daniel Frey <dmfrey at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Also, the design pattern we
> > use aims to minimize network activity (thus saving battery) by
> > data locally to a database and most interactions with the data are
> > through
> > the local database. It would be far too slow from a UI/UX standpoint
> > always be loading data from the backend on demand, and it would
> > drastically
> > affect battery.
>
> I'm finding this a bit difficult to believe.
>
> Does any other frontend on any platform work this way?

I will jump in here, somewhat to Dan's defense, since I gave him crap earlier
in the week about this.

If, as he suggests, and I'm not inclined to disbelieve him, the problem
is that the server side of this client/server system is not presently
optimized to support the query which his use case requires, then yes,
I could see why he might decide to take this approach, as pessimal as it is.

Whether other MythTV frontends work this way is only relevant if they are
as network constrained as a client on an Android phone might be -- it's not
reasonable to evaluate this merely, say, in the context of an Android
tablet on the same WLAN as the backend.

Cheers,
-- jra