[mythtv-users] MythTV on Android

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Tue Sep 11 15:09:10 UTC 2012

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 4:53 AM, Brian Long <briandlong at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 12:22 AM, Thomas Mashos <thomas at mashos.com> wrote:
>
>>> Would it be unreasonable for the application to perform a limited query on a
>>> smaller local dataset, and reach out to the backend for a more powerful
>>> quer?.  For example provide a "search titles" option and have an advanced
>>> search screen for more indepth searches against the backend DB?
>>
>> Currently that is not possible. As I've previously stated, the minimum
>> amount of data you can currently get to display a list of titles is
>> all data about every episode. There isn't a "list titles" query.
>
> Dumb non-developer question: As I understand it, other frontends have
> MySQL creds in order to query the backend DB directly for certain
> items.  Until the MythTV backend API supports everything you need for
> a mobile client, why not use direct MySQL access like the other
> frontends?
>
> /Brian/

It adds code complexity and requires another connection to the backend
(to the database) and makes zeroconf no longer work (as minimally
you'll need to enter a PIN, if not the hostname/user/pass of the
database). It's doable, it just takes away some of the fun zeroconf
(which is a great feature to just hit a button to find the backend).

Personally, if possible I'd rather just carry a downstream patch of
the "list titles" functionality in our distribution packages, although
I haven't discussed that with other Mythbuntu devs nor do I know if
the android app would take advantage of that functionality.

Thanks,

Thomas Mashos