[mythtv-users] MythTV on Android

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Tue Sep 11 18:55:48 UTC 2012

> This would probably work clunky at best. You would need to initiate

> > the transcode, at which point it would transcode the file. You'll need
> > a pretty powerful backend machine to transcode HD material in real
> > time (or faster) so you'll looking at waiting around the length of the
> > video (or longer) before you can start downloading (Unless you want to
> > keep the connection alive on your android device, goodbye battery
> > life). Once you start downloading, you then have to DL a large file
> > (likely still > 1GB) which shouldn't take terribly long, but it's
> > still a multistep process.
>
> Isn't that almost exactly how HLS works?  It's all done automatically.
>  The end user doesn't have to manually orchestrate this.

While streaming video to my phone or tablet sounds wonderful... its not
that important to me, if I'm at home I can watch TV/Movies on my, much
larger, TV.  Now if my kids could easily preload video on their tablets for
viewing while away from home AND use it to watch shows at home... now it
becomes far more valuable!