[mythtv-users] MythTV on Android

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Sep 12 02:08:43 UTC 2012

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 4:57 PM, Thomas Mashos <thomas at mashos.com> wrote:
> Offended? No. Relax? I'm completely calm. I just find it a bit funny
> when I list some of the work necessary on the developer side for this
> to be done and you completely ignore it.

To be honest, the points you mentioned really do seem like unnecessary
fluff.  Sure, it would be nice, but it's not the heart of the feature
being requested.

The feature request was a way to "view programs etc when I'm off the
LAN".  This could be accomplished by a simple "download" button that
just dumps the recording to a file in a folder and leaves the rest to
the user to manage.

You wrote:
> From a dev POV, they have to develop all that and probably
> 5) Mark recording as watched when reconnected to the same backend.
> 6) Delete recording from android device when it's watched (or maybe later sometime?)
> 7) Delete the transcoded file from the backend at some point

5 is really just gravy.  No one has explicitly asked for that.  6 has
negative value and is best not done at all.  The user can delete the
file when he decides he's done with it.  7 has to be done anyway.
This is no different than when playing a recording live with HLS.

> Newsflash: There isnt a magical garden gnome that throws eye of newt
> into a boiling pot and out pops mythtv android code that has all the
> features you want. It does actually have to be written by a human
> (specifically dmfrey).

Of course.  Everybody knows that.  No one has placed any demands on anyone.

On the other hand, dmfrey has made it clear on this list that he wants
his app to be the "official" Android client, to the extent that there
is such a thing.  Part of that means listening to feature requests
from users (whether he decides to implement them or not is another
matter).  All I've tried to do is better articulate Paul Wilson's
request as it seems something very useful to me as well.

Eric