[mythtv-users] No network: no frontend

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Thu Sep 13 15:28:53 UTC 2012

> the

> loopback

> you

> >> That is only for the backend, the OP is talking about the frontend.
> >> The frontend must be able to talk to the backend for it to start
> >> correctly. All the information about the frontend is kept in the
> >> database, plus you would need a connection to the backend to playback
> >> any content. As frontend local content is going away, I don't see this
> >> changing.
> >>
> > I think he is talking about a combined frontend/backend... frontend is
> > failing to connect because the backend isn't running yet.
> >
> > I would adjust your frontend to connect on the loopback adapter of
> > 127.0.0.1.  You may need to make sure that mysql and mythbackend are both
> > listening on loopback, but they typically are by default IIRC.
> >

> Ah yea he is, not sure how I missed that the first time I read it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Thomas Mashos
>
> it's alright... I misspoke myself... I meant that the frontend isn't
connecting because the network hasn't connected yet.

But it could be because the backend hasn't started.  Perhaps starting
mythwelcome instead of mythfrontend would give you a good result too.
 Essentially it should wait until the network and the backend are up and
allow you to start the frontend.  Never used it myself.