[mythtv-users] No network: no frontend

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Sep 14 10:13:58 UTC 2012

On 14/09/12 03:02, Michael Watson wrote:
> On 13/09/2012 9:50 PM, Bob Long wrote:
>> MythTV Version : v0.25.2-19-gcf06841
>> MythTV Branch : fixes/0.25
>>
>> Combined backend/frontend.
>>
>> My understanding was that a MythTV box can (should?) be configured so that its
>> network address is static, and that that IP address be told to the backend and
>> to the frontend.
>>
>> However, if the network for some reason can't connect (in my case, a wireless
>> connection to the router), then the frontend won't start in the normal manner,
>> and I'm presented with the language selection menu of the frontend. Attempting
>> to cancel that just restarts the frontend and it returns to that menu.
>>
>> Is there an easy way around that (assuming that for some reason the network
>> connection can't be quickly re-established, eg., router failure)? Or have I
>> got the configuration wrong? In other words, must MythTV have a working
>> network connection for operation?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
> What OS / Distribution?
>
> I know Ubuntu in default setup, uses Network Manager to start wireless networks,
> and thus the wireless network does not start until the user has logged in, thus
> the backend will not be listening on the wireless as it was not available when
> it started.   You can configure the wireless in /etc/network/interfaces so it
> comes up when computer is booted.
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WiFiHowTo#Adding_it_to_.2BAC8-etc.2BAC8-network.2BAC8-interfaces

Yeah. Network Manager seems to be one of those ideas someone had that assumes
*everyone* is using a wifi-connected laptop. Not friendly at all when you have a
mix of servers and statically-assigned bespoke media devices on your hard-wired
network.

My opinion: if you *do* have a wifi-connected laptop, use Network Manager.
Otherwise, get rid of it, it causes more problems than it solves.

--

Mike Perkins