[mythtv-users] My falling out with comcast: they're "banning" direct connections

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri Sep 14 18:03:12 UTC 2012

On 9/14/2012 13:56, F.B. Parker wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 10:34 AM, William Powers <wepprop at gmail.com
> <mailto:wepprop at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>  > When I cancelled Comcast (Best Day Ever!) in favor of DirecTV,
>  > they insisted on knowing why.
>

> Do you (or anyone else out there) know if DirecTV enables/allows
> recording of non-premium digital HD channels (SPEED, ESPN, History,
> etc.) using an hdhomerun prime with MythTV?

DirecTV is not a cable provider. They do not use the system that the
HDHomeRun Prime and other cablecard tuners are designed to use. While
they do use some variation on DVB-S, and tuner hardware is available to
decode it, there are no access modules capable of decrypting it, so your
only option is analog capture off one of their STBs.