[mythtv-users] MythTV newbie questions

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sat Sep 15 15:19:55 UTC 2012

On 15/09/12 15:25, ohaya at cox.net wrote:

> ---- Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> See, you're thinking logically. Stop that. ;) Mythtv likes to have the FE
>>> *and* BE installed on *every* machine. On the machines you want to be
>>> FEs, you just don't run the BE executable. On machines you want to be
>>> BEs, you just don't run the FE executable.
>>
>> This just isn't true at all.  I don't have the BE installed on any of my FE
>> only systems and I haven't had any problems.
>>
>> Use a text editor to take a look at the file:
>>
>> /home/nickj/.mythtv/mysql.txt
>>
>> and make sure it has the settings you want.
>>
>> Eric
>>

> Hi,
>
> Apologies for jumping in...
>
> I'm a newbie, just having installed Mythbuntu (with both backend and
> frontend) earlier this week, and then a 2nd machine with Mythbuntu with only
> a frontend this morning, and can confirm that at least with .25, the
> installer gives you a choice to install only the frontend.  I think that when
> you do that frontend-only installation, it checks (discovers/looks for) a
> backend and also asks for info for connecting the to Mysql on the backend.

I think it's more to do with libraries and utilities shared by both front and
back ends, and the packagers should take care of that. The executables take
little space. The significant point is that if you *install* a front end or back
end, the packagers will generate start scripts for those components, which may
lead to things running that are not appropriate.

--

Mike Perkins