[mythtv-users] Backend/Frontend hardware (new system)

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Tue Sep 18 02:13:16 UTC 2012

On 18/09/2012 10:58 AM, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 12:45 PM, Michael Watson
> <michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au> wrote:
>> On 18/09/2012 9:39 AM, Nick Rout wrote:

>>> And most of them power hogs! There is certainly a tradeoff between
>>> cost and power saving and speed and quietness.
>> I don't believe so.  Last time I did the figures, the TCO over expected life
>> span of each machines, it worked out roughly the same cost (new low power
>> machine vs low cost second hand equipment), if you then include cost to the
>> environment, then the s/hand equipment wins hands down.
>> (Recycle/Reuse/Reduce)
> Or are you better to go with the lower power machine if you want to
> look after the environment? We burn coal for electricity after all. I
> simply don't know the right answer here! I doubt that any one answer
> is "right".

Coal is not the only material used to generate power.  There are many
others including Nuclear, Wind, Solar, and Water

But, back to the original statement.  You do not need a new high priced
machine to run Myth Frontend or Backend seperate or combined.  You can
do it quite happily on equipment that is 5+ Years old, for very little
out lay.