[mythtv-users] Backend/Frontend hardware (new system)

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Tue Sep 18 23:02:24 UTC 2012

On 19/09/2012 7:16 AM, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 2:13 PM, Michael Watson
> <michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au> wrote:
>> On 18/09/2012 10:58 AM, Nick Rout wrote:

>>> Or are you better to go with the lower power machine if you want to
>>> look after the environment? We burn coal for electricity after all. I
>>> simply don't know the right answer here! I doubt that any one answer
>>> is "right".
>>
>> Coal is not the only material used to generate power.  There are many others
>> including Nuclear, Wind, Solar, and Water
> Well I wouldn't classify nuclear as environmetally friendly, the waste
> has to go somewhere.

Granted, but it doesnt release carbon into the atmosphere.

> Every extra amp you pull means more coal or other wasteful and/or
> dirty methods have to be used, until you get consumption down to the
> point where clean methods supply all our needs.
Power to my house is provided by Hyrdo Electric.
What of the energy, resources used (and the energy consumed to mine the
resources) to produce a new machine, that is not required if an old
(already produced) machine can be reused, granted consuming more power
than a new, low power machine.  But what are the actual usage figures of
a "low power" machine, and a P4 Desktop machine, playing the same content.

I am watching with great interest the development of the Myth Android
Frontend, this seems it would be a great addition to the small, low
power, cheap Google TV devices now entering the market.