[mythtv-users] HD-PVR polling errors -- possible solution

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 01:15:24 UTC 2012

Christopher Neufeld has been trying to track down a serious reliability
issue with his HD-PVR.  After much research, he discovered that his
problems were due to a bug in the driver.  This bug was fixed in the
3.2.11, but he runs LinHES which is based on Arch Linux, which has an older
kernel.

So, if you are having problems with your HD-PVR, and your kernel predates
3.2.11, you probably want to upgrade.

Christopher is not a member of this mailing list, and he asked me to
forward this:

First, I have been having terrible reliability problems with my HD-PVR, it
would get caught in a polling loop and fail to start up.  I tracked this
down to a race condition in the hdpvr module for the kernel I was using
(2.6.39).  While this race condition has been fixed in recent kernels, if
you find yourself with failed HD-PVR recordings on an older kernel, and log
messages that look like this:

2012-09-17T00:00:19.945718-04:00 mythtv mythbackend[23351]: E RecThread
mpegrecorder.cpp:1010 (run) MPEGRec(/dev/hdpvr): Device error detected
2012-09-17T00:00:23.347878-04:00 mythtv mythbackend[23351]: E
DeviceReadBuffer DeviceReadBuffer.cpp:513 (Poll) DevRdB(/dev/hdpvr): Poll
giving up 2

repeating every 3 or 4 seconds, check your module.  In hdpvr-video.c, the
function hdpvr_start_streaming(), dev->status must be set to
STATUS_STREAMING before INIT_WORK sets up hdpvr_transmit_buffers.  If the
order is reversed, fix it and recompile.

The second note is informational.  If you have a free encoder on your
system, it is now possible to make recordings with the HD-PVR with
closed-captions available, capable of being toggled at playback time,
subject to certain conditions.  See
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Captions_With_HD_PVR
for details.

Thank you.