[mythtv-users] Why does Myth need write access to my Videos SG?

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Thu Sep 20 04:07:34 UTC 2012

> > My videos directory is an SMB share and it is intentionally read-only to
> my
> > various media servers. I noticed that during Mythtv-setup, Myth
> complained
> > that it couldn't write to this directory. Can somebody tell me what Myth
> > needs to write to in here?
> >
> > Additionally I'm confused about the line in the wiki that says "External
> > Video Players (mplayer, xine, VLC) will not work with videos hosted on an
> > SG." - Does Myth actually modify the files in some way? This would be
> > catastrophic to me, as my videos are accessed by many different
> > applications.
>
> mplayer etc does not know how to play a myth:// url and therefore
> cannot access the url that mthvideo hands off to the player. The file
> is unchanged and you can still acess it outside myth via whatever
> protocol works with your player - eg a mount over cifs.
>
> I believe that there have been several attempts at creating a fuse virtual
file system around the myth:// protocol, which would allow you to mount
your storage groups as you would any other drive... however I don't think
any of them are ready for prime time.

With many players supporting upnp and mythtv's builtin upnp server, I find
that its rare that I need filesystem level access to my storage.