[mythtv-users] Why does Myth need write access to my Videos SG?

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 13:45:46 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 12:07 AM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:

> > My videos directory is an SMB share and it is intentionally read-only to
>> my
>> > various media servers. I noticed that during Mythtv-setup, Myth
>> complained
>> > that it couldn't write to this directory. Can somebody tell me what Myth
>> > needs to write to in here?
>> >
>> > Additionally I'm confused about the line in the wiki that says "External
>> > Video Players (mplayer, xine, VLC) will not work with videos hosted on
>> an
>> > SG." - Does Myth actually modify the files in some way? This would be
>> > catastrophic to me, as my videos are accessed by many different
>> > applications.
>>
>> mplayer etc does not know how to play a myth:// url and therefore
>> cannot access the url that mthvideo hands off to the player. The file
>> is unchanged and you can still acess it outside myth via whatever
>> protocol works with your player - eg a mount over cifs.
>>
>> I believe that there have been several attempts at creating a fuse
> virtual file system around the myth:// protocol, which would allow you to
> mount your storage groups as you would any other drive... however I don't
> think any of them are ready for prime time.
>
> With many players supporting upnp and mythtv's builtin upnp server, I find
> that its rare that I need filesystem level access to my storage.

We're veering off topic a bit, but...

I looked into the Fuse stuff a bit but ended up going with the
MythicalLibrarian bash script to create sane filename symlinks of all of my
recordings. This enables Plex and Boxee to index my recordings so I can
play them on my iDevices as well as the spiffy new Plex web interface.

With the new APIs and MythMetaData, it seems like we're getting closer to
having this functionality built in to Myth. It seems relatively easy (I'm
not a dev so who knows) that a script or user job like MythicalLibrarian
could be run to create symlinks using the recording title, season and
episode number purely from querying the metadata. It is a bit of a paradigm
shift because using this model you can forego a Myth FE altogether to play
back your recordings, but it's something I'm patiently looking forward to.