[mythtv-users] What if...?

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Thu Sep 20 16:35:42 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 9:20 AM, Jay Foster <jayfoster at roadrunner.com> wrote:

>> media players... I use Plex, XBMC, Orb, and who knows what else all in an
>> effort to have my media available wherever I want, whenever I want. But
>> when I'm at home, nothing beats the usability of the Myth FE. Sure it can
>> be buggy, and maybe kludgy at times, but it's by far the best way to
>> browse
>> and play all of my recordings.
>
> I've tried XBMC, but prefer the MythTV frontend.  Sure, XBMC has more eye
> candy, but it just doesn't work very well.  It will only play back about
> half of my HDHR recordings.  The rest, I just get a black screen or it dies
> part way through.  XBMC is also VERY buggy.  It hangs quite often requiring
> me to kill it from another terminal.  It does do commercial skipping, but
> always in the wrong place, which is worse than not doing it.  XBMC may have
> a place, but not as my PVR frontend.
>
> Jay

I agree with everyone else that removing the frontend wouldn't
necessarily help the backend.

The issue that other 3rd party frontends have is that prior to 0.25,
they had to keep up with a moving target (the myth protocol). The
issue they have now with the services API is that it doesn't offer all
of the functionality that the myth protocol offers.

What I would like to see is the myth protocol be deprecated and
mythfrontend transition to using the services API only. This would
force the API to mature to a point that it offers all of the
functionality that the myth protocol offers currently, and that 3rd
party frontends could be developed and have the same functionality.

Thanks,

Thomas Mashos