[mythtv-users] New blue-abstract theme 1.8

Gordon McCrae gordon.mccrae at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 16:36:24 UTC 2012

On 20/09/12 09:36, Jan Schneider wrote:

>>> Dont disable it, its one of the best features of this theme. IMO.
>>
>> Agreed
>
> So how do you guys actually read the scrolling content with the
> current scrolling speed, if the episode description is like 10 lines
> longs, but you only see 4 lines at once? I might not be the fastest
> reader, but I doubt anyone could really read those with the current
> settings.
> A slower scrolling speed would definitely help too, though I'd still
> prefer to only read the full description on demand, because everybody
> has a different reading speed, and you might not start reading right
> after opening the recording, so you missed the first lines and need to
> wait until the scrolling loops back. Bad usability IMO.

Actually, I love the idea of the text scrolling, It's been a bugbear of
mine for a while that there's a word or two missing from a text field,
and I have to go into the "full detail" window to see it.

However, while it works well in the "Watch Recordings" screen where 99%
of the "details" are only one or two lines over the limit of the panel,
some stuff in "Watch Videos" has very long details, and it is, I agree,
impossible to read, so either a control somewhere to specify speed, or
perhaps a "pause" button to stop the scrolling temporarily while we read
the section currently on screen?

In general I like 1.8, however I must say I preferred 1.7's animated
icon when a programme was recording to the pulsing cog that 1.8 has, and
I also feel that background images in the menus is distracting and a
little tacky, one of the things that I liked about blue-abstract was
that it didn't have naff images of TVs and turntables, so that's a bit
of a backward step for me, but I guess I'll get used to it!

I would like to echo the earlier comments about having the ability to
turn things on and off, or vary speeds etc. Perhaps in a config file,
perhaps in the MythFrontend menu, I don't care, but the ability to do
this would be fantastic.

One simple way to disable the scrolling is pick QT instead of Auto or
OpenGL for your paint engine. Mine was set to "Qt" by default and I was
about to post as to why I couldn't get animated text fields, but then
thought to check this and test in OpenGL. One obvious question, is there
any obvious advantage / disadvantage to using the OpenGL paint engine?

Cheers
Gordon