[mythtv-users] Installing Mythbuntu (backend) on a HP ProLiant MicroServer - N40L

Leigh Anthony mythtv at theanthonys.net
Sat Sep 22 10:36:26 UTC 2012

You could also put in a serial port, though getting a mobile device with a serial port these days is tricky.

Make sure you can attach a screen easily if you need to at a later date.  My server is in the garage and taking a screen out there is a bit of a pain!

Most things (system admin) can be done from the command line, but if you have an X11 (usually Linux or Mac but Windows can have software added to do it)  host with a screen you can run ssh.

"ssh user at host" will give you a commandline, but "ssh -X user at headlessHost" will allow you to run graphical applications on the remote headless host but with a local display, which is far better than vnc.

Just as a note, "putty" on windows will not give you graphical application support - you need something like cygwin (free) or Reflection/X (not free).

Regards,

Leigh