[mythtv-users] Transcoding DVB from MPEG2 to MP4 keeping the subtitles

Doug Vaughan r.d.vaughan at rogers.com
Sat Sep 22 13:56:30 UTC 2012

Ken,
     I am working on a script that changes a recorded video's container
type to MKV plus retains the subtitle track(s). I have found at least
for UK DVB recordings that ffmpeg/avconv and even mkvmerge will support
only a limited amount of subtitle formats (mostly SRT), while dropping
any unsupported subtitle tracks.

     A working solution is to extract the subtitle track from the
recording, convert it to srt format and then remux it back into the
recording while it is being converted to a new container type. I use
mkvmerge and obviously a mkv container to do the remux of the srt
subtitle file.

See these subtitle extraction tools that convert the subtitles to a srt
file:

mythccextractor - see http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythccextractor
Be aware of this ticket which may or may not effect you:
http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11081

CCExtractor - see http://ccextractor.sourceforge.net/
With UK DVB text subtitle tracks it had a bug but the developer has
fixed that issue in an unreleased version 0.64. He has told me that he
will release 0.64 in a week or so.

telexcc - see: https://github.com/forers/telxcc
This one is no longer under active development but its code has been
included in CCExtractor. Oddly enough it does not have issues with UK
DVB text subtitle tracks.

mkvmerge command line to remux your srt subtitle file into a mkv container:
 > mkvmerge -o "new_video.mkv" "/path to/recorded.mpg" "/path
to/subtitle_file.srt"

My advise is to use the latest versions of the MKVToolNix utilities.
See:
     https://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/downloads.html
     https://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/source.html

I hope this helps.