[mythtv-users] New blue-abstract theme 1.8

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Sep 24 13:50:33 UTC 2012

Many are.  https://github.com/MythTV-Themes

>   it is very easy to fork, make changes, and keep up to date
> with the main repo.

And we've even split them up into separate repos to make them even
easier to follow.  Generally, you just clone the desired theme into your
$HOME/.mythtv/themes/ directory, and you can just make changes there,
and then do the occasional git pull to pull in updates.

>   If there was an easy way to make the theme chooser
> suck in an arbitrary git repo then there would be no need for any
> changes to Myth UI, no need to copy and edit whole files, and the
> types of tweaks supported would not be arbitrarily restricted by
> however the overlay mechanism was implemented.

But since you'll need a place to do your development/changes (i.e.
initial changes as well as merging your changes with upstream's on every
git pull), why not just do that work in $HOME/.mythtv/themes/ and then
the Theme Chooser will show that now-customized theme as one that's
installed:

git clone git://github.com/MythTV-Themes/blue-abstract-wide.git
blue-abstract-wide-custom

Then change the theme name in blue-abstract-wide-custom/themeinfo.xml

sed -i 's/Blue Abstract/New Abstract/'
blue-abstract-wide-custom/themeinfo.xml

and select the new theme name ("New Abstract") from the Theme Chooser.

With this approach you can--but don't need to--actually fork/publish
your changes back to github.

Mike