[mythtv-users] What if...?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Sep 24 15:39:11 UTC 2012

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Thomas Mashos <thomas at mashos.com> wrote:
> While I agree with this, it's still a step forward. Clients should
> need to know what version of the services API they are using and adapt
> for that. The issue right now is if you want new flashy frontend
> features, you have to also upgrade the backend as they aren't
> compatible. If you can make a frontend that supports older services
> API versions, you get to have different versions of frontends around
> the house and don't have to upgrade your stable backend. A frontend
> that was written for 0.28 could use a backend that is on 0.25.

The services API also has to be rich enough that this is the only
interface needed.  The client should not need to connect directly to
mysql.

This is one of the things that really scares me about third party
clients.  If they're designed in part to bypass the backend and talk
to mysql, not only might they break after a backend upgrade, but
there's greater potential for them to break in a way that does
significant damage.

Eric