[mythtv-users] Virtualisation .. can it do this? (HP ProLiant MicroServer N40L)

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Wed Sep 26 13:46:34 UTC 2012

On 25/09/2012 21:32, Simon Hobson wrote:

> Damian wrote:
>
>> I'm thinking that I'm probably best just setting up Ubuntu/Mythbuntu
>> as the OS, and then when I want to 'upgrade', I could just backup the
>> system drive before breaking everything so that I can recover from it
>> when all goes bad and try again.
>
> I'd suggest keeping some space spare - in the grand scheme of a PVR
> with perhaps TB of space, a few tens of gig is not a lot to "waste".
> It'll earn it's keep the first time you want to upgrade - it's a lot
> easier switching back to a working setup than restoring it from a
> backup ! Plus, you can leave your "upgrade in progress" intact and
> come back to it later.

I like your idea Simon! And yes, a few gig out of a 2.3TB system is no
great loss.

I have no problem installing ubuntu wherever I want it. Setting mount
point etc is very straight forward with the setup. However, I have no
idea how I would switch between one partition and another at boot time.
Would that involve installing something like grub as well, or is there
another way of switching between two bootable partitions?

Any you probably saw this question coming .. is there a GUI program that
can help with this :-)

Thanks again for all the feedback. I'm hopefully going to have time to
set up the server tonight.

Cheers
Damian