[mythtv-users] Is there still a global padding option?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Sep 28 12:25:28 UTC 2012

On 09/27/2012 09:22 PM, Michael Watson wrote:
> On 27/09/2012 10:40 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>
>> But thanks for the additional proof that we have too many settings to
>> be useful and that it's too hard to find the settings, even when you
>> know they exist, and that "just add a setting" isn't a good choice
>> for solving future problems.  :)
>>

> Frontend > Setup > Video > Recording Priorities >
> Set Recording Priorities > Page  1 is Scheduler Options,
> followed by Pages 2 and 3.
>
> Or more intuitive locations for existing/future options.  Seems (to
> me) odd, to look in Video for options to do with recording/scheduling.

Well, ignoring the fact that a lot of settings have been moved/renamed
to try to make them more "intuitive" and easier to find (and, yet, they
still aren't), that still doesn't help the other problem--that we have
too many settings for users to know what settings are available (not to
mention the effects of the interaction of different settings).

I'm still a big believer that a setting is just a shortcut for when the
developer doesn't know (or doesn't feel like writing code for figuring
out) The Right Thing to do.  (And Apple seems to be proving that people
are happier with limited settings and "It Just Works".)

Mike