[mythtv-users] Problems with Nvidia 7050 S-Video setup after Debian upgrade.

stuart stuart at xnet.com
Fri Sep 28 13:11:55 UTC 2012

On 09/26/2012 09:26 PM, George Mari wrote:
> On 09/26/2012 09:00 AM, stuart wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Wanted to toss this out here to see if I am missing something.
>>
>> I performed a much needed Linux / Debian upgrade on my Mythtv master and
>> slave backends.  The master has been back up and running for weeks now,
>> but the Debian slave has never recovered from the upgrade.
>>
>> The Debian slave upgrade went really badly and I have only recently got
>> the eth0 port working simply be purging and re-installing Debian
>> packages.  The current problem involves executing "startx".  Most of the
>> time the Debian slave locks up to the point where I can not even ssh
>> into it.
>>
>> I have poured over the files in /var/log and have yet to see the
>> problem.  The latest theory is that there may be an ACPI problem.  But
>> after about a dozen boots where I set "acpi=off" I am starting to doubt
>> that.
> [deleted]
>
> Have you looked into Xorg.0.log in /var/log?  I'm on Fedora, so I'm not
> sure if you would have exactly the same file in Debian.

Yes, odd as it might sound /var/log/Xorg.0.log did not have any "EE"
entries.  My guess is what ever happens causes enough processor
starvation that nothing significant gets added to the log files.  That
or maybe the person who wrote the x11 software didn't foresee or
couldn't detect this problem.  If it is the x11 software.

The last Xorg.0.log entry is a "WW" entry:
> [    68.049] (WW) NVIDIA(0): WAIT (0, 1, 0x8000, 0x00000098, 0x00000098)
...not sure if that is a problem or not.  I've gone down so many
suspicious roads searching for the cause of the X server freezing up the
computer that I'm a bit skeptical of a simple warning.

-thanks