[mythtv-users] Is there still a global padding option?

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Fri Sep 28 17:02:17 UTC 2012

At 5:20 PM +0100 9/28/12, Mike Perkins wrote:
>On 28/09/12 13:25, Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>>Frontend > Setup > Video > Recording Priorities >
>>>Set Recording Priorities > Page  1 is Scheduler Options,
>>>followed by Pages 2 and 3.
>>>
>>>Or more intuitive locations for existing/future options.  Seems (to me) odd,
>>>to look in Video for options to do with recording/scheduling.
>>
>>Well, ignoring the fact that a lot of settings have been
>>moved/renamed to try to
>>make them more "intuitive" and easier to find (and, yet, they still aren't),
>>that still doesn't help the other problem--that we have too many settings for
>>users to know what settings are available (not to mention the effects of the
>>interaction of different settings).
>>
>>I'm still a big believer that a setting is just a shortcut for when the
>>developer doesn't know (or doesn't feel like writing code for
>>figuring out) The
>>Right Thing to do.  (And Apple seems to be proving that people are
>>happier with
>>limited settings and "It Just Works".)
>>
>That works for Apple because they only have a fixed, limited variety
>of hardware to program for and the hardware is all under Apple's
>control.

No, Apple focused on simplicity because it was a key mantra of Steve Jobs:

http://www.socialnomics.net/2011/10/05/steve-jobs---10-lessons-in-life-leadership/
Steve Jobs demanded that the iPod not have any buttons on it;
including an on/off switch. This seemed implausible for the engineers
working on the project, but Jobs wouldn't bend. The engineers were
pushed to their limits and as a result the scroll wheel was inspired.
Jobs indicates "that's been one of my mantras - focus and simplicity.
Simple can be harder than complex: You have to work hard to get your
thinking clean to make it simple. But it's worth it in the end
because once you get there, you can move mountains."

Myth, currently, is very much the opposite.  The pages and pages of
settings in Myth verge on incomprehensible.  Even stuff that I need
and use, I sometimes forget if the knob is in mythfrontend Settings
or in mythtv-setup--and I've been using Myth for over 6 years.  If we
took a sample of 1,000 active Myth installations, what percentage of
Myth's settings on each system are still at the delivered default?
I'd guess on each individual install, less than 15% of the available
settings are changed.  Of course, each individual knob is somebody's
sacred cow that can't possibly be eliminated.

Fewer settings is a good thing--both for Myth and other consumer
gadgets.  Even if some resist.

Craig