[mythtv-users] MythTV+Mageia2+PowerViewTV card(s)

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 19:01:28 UTC 2012

On Sep 30, 2012 8:16 PM, "Marc Paré" <marc at marcpare.com> wrote:

> Le 2012-09-30 02:29, Nick Rout a écrit :
>>
>> Now I wondered if I was right so I looked further! googling this card
>> and linux mainly results in posts by you to the mageaia mailing lists
>> LOL. One points here
>> http://www.factorydirect.ca/Product.aspx?sku=PO0010 which has a pic.
>> The pic shows a sticker on the card listing a number of analogue TV
>> standards: PAL, NTSC, SECAM.
>

> Yup, I had tried to sign-up to the MythTV mailing list 3 times before I
finally got a reply to my sign-up -- it almost looks like sign-ups are
moderated. Anyway, I am glad I am on the list as it look like quite a
friendly and helpful list. However, as you most likely read, the members on
the Mageia list convinced me that using MythTV on Mageia was indeed as
possible as any other distro; their experience were all positive.

> As to the PowerView TV card that is mentioned in your text, yes, I have
been making reports for a few years on the Mandriva then Mageia forums to
keep anyone else appraised of the compatibility of the card with TV time,
as well as the setup to make them work on these distros. It uses the
Philips 713x or Bt 878 chipsets (labelled on the card). It says it provides
Mpeg1 or Mpeg2 compression, but I always assumed it did this through
software, but, only on the Windows side. It does not support Linux; I am
not sure how to test this to see if it is through hardware. The manuals are
quite cryptic and do not offer clear details ... obviously for the price
you pay, you get what you pay for.

> I have installed dozens of these on Linux boxes as they used to cost
around $12each but are now retailing slightly above $20Cdn. I have not
heard of any of the owners complaining of loss of service yet.

>> This reinforces my view that the card is analogue only, and you are
>> getting some leftover Rogers analogue service.
>>
>> That may be switched off any time, so you will want to consider a move
>> to digital, but you might also fall foul of various encryption
>> problems - I don't know what Rogers makes available "in the clear".
>> You will need the advice of others on the same or similar services to
>> advise properly.
>>

> Hmmm, not sure. I thought that the notes we received from Rogers stated
that if you used analog TV that there was no loss of channels. If you
purchased a digital TV, then, some channels would be affected, and of
course, they were advertising their "set top box" to fix this. I am a
little fuzzy on this, but for now, we are getting all of our channels and
our recent purchase of a digital TV (we finally joined the 21st century,
yeah!), we are in fact getting some extra channels.

> Cheers,

The page you pointed to a couple of posts ago definitely said analogue
users would loss service.

Your card is analogue only.