[mythtv-users] VAAPI on mythtv-0.26

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 16:16:34 UTC 2013

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 10:43 AM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:
>> is there a list of processors that work with VAAPI and "should" be
>> fast enough for typical MythTV use?
>

> Any Sandy or Ivy Bridge processor should work (the specs should say it has
> INTEL HD graphics built in).  I am using a Sandy Bridge Celeron G540 (just
> about the slowest sandy bridge processor you can buy today) and it was
> powerful enough for CPU playback... but VAAPI freed up the CPU for
> comflagging and whatnot.
>
> In reality, if you have any sort of GPU acceleration (VAAPI, VDPAU, etc)
> there isn't an x86 processor made today that is NOT fast enough.  Mythtv
> doesn't use that much CPU unless your doing post processing (commflag,
> transcode, etc).

right, but not all GPU acceleration is made the same, the older cards
were not capable of the support required for typical MythTV file
playback, especially with deinterlacing taken into account.

It's not the CPU speed I'm concerned with but the GPU
speed/capabilities. If I go and buy a Sandy cpu with "INTEL HD", and
connect it to my 1080p tv can I expect the quality of it's 1080i
playback with deinterlacing to be on par with what I get from my
NVidia GT220 in regards to CPU load reduction?

thanks!

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!