[mythtv-users] zbox as a frontend: ID41 vs ID80

Kenni Lund kenni at kelu.dk
Sat Apr 6 15:48:16 UTC 2013

2013/4/5 Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net>

> About to give in, and update my current ION1 frontend
> to a zbox. Just looking for some advice on which to
> choose. I may need to hurry if I want an ID41.
>
> I'm mainly wondering if a GT520M in any way produces
> higher quality than an ION2 (e.g., maybe using more bits
> in transformations).

I use a Zotac IONITX-A (ION1) and a Zotac Zbox ID41 (ION2) as frontends,
and a month ago I configured a Zotac Zbox ID80 for a friend.

My IONITX-A is unable to playback my 1080i channels with the Advanced 2x
deinterlacer, while my ID41 works fine. The Zbox ID80 also worked fine with
the Advanced 2x deinterlacer at my friends place. TTBOMK I/we haven't
tested with ~30fps material, only 25fps.

I'm unable to see any difference in picture quality or "smoothness" when
using the Temporal 2x or the Advanced 2x deinterlacer on my 46" TV (Xorg
has of course been configured with proper modelines to allow MythTV to
change mode). I can see a huge difference between for example Bob 2x <->
Temporal 2x, Temporal 1x <-> Temporal 2x or Advanced 1x <-> Advanced 2x,
but I'm unable to see any difference between Temporal and Advanced.

IMHO, it's not worth upgrading a Atom+ION1 frontend to a Atom+ION2- or
Atom+GT520M-based frontend. If the ION1 frontend stops working, sure, but I
would never do it as an upgrade. A newer Atom processor will give you a few
percent extra processing power, but it's still too small a difference to be
noticeable in menu navigation etc.

Best regards
Kenni