[mythtv-users] zbox as a frontend: ID41 vs ID80

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 18:37:49 UTC 2013

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 3:00 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 6:17 PM, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:
>> Do you have first-hand experience of this with an ION2 based system
>> or are you extrapolating from experiences with the ION1?
>
> An ION2 is (essentially) a GT210, which according to qvdpautest(*)
> can only do 55 frames/sec for "Advanced 2X"; your driver will
> vary, and some different drivers have shown a lower number,
> close to 44 as I recall.  55 might be close enough for 50Hz
> countries, but not good enough for 60Hz countries (note that
> having so little headroom may result in occasional glitches).
>
> To another point, an individuals tolerance to jitter/stutter/judder
> varies.  Some never see what others cannot tolerate.  Since
> this is such an individual perception (subjective) issue, it is
> not possible to rate/rank it in any meaningful way.  And
> some TV's have their own deinterlacer (of which its quality
> will also vary) should you be sending the interlaced signal
> to a TV for processing.
>
> And, as countries vary, it is always desirable to state
> what country you are in so one can at least compare
> a 60Hz and a 50Hz response.
>
> Gary
>
> (*) Yes, qvdpautest is not the best tool, but it does tend
> to have some correlation with observed artifacts.

everything Gary said.

I don't know if the ION1 does or doesn't support HQscaling, both my
ION machines are on smaller TV's, so they may not, but it may not make
a difference on those screens either.

I have noticed on my GT220 that it does make a difference and is
enough better than the scaling in my plasma to ensure I enable it.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!