[mythtv-users] Keeping the MythVideo db up2date

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Tue Apr 9 19:12:10 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 2:39 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:

> [...]

I think that's exactly what he meant... it monitors a folder, but not it's
subdirectories.  He needed a solution that continuously monitors a folder
recursively to detect changes in any of it's subdirectories.

> To be honest, I've never really seen a reason for such capability.  Either
> you're going to be adding videos manually, through ripping a DVD or Bluray,
> or copying content off some recording device, at which point you can just
> as
> well manually trigger a scan, or you've got some program automatically
> adding content, in which case that program can automatically trigger a scan
> at the same time.  The only scenario I can think where it would make sense
> to auto-update the content list is for users who aren't using the frontend
> at all, and are accessing it from a UPnP client that cannot trigger a scan.

I can think of a few circumstances where manual scans may be an issue.  For
example my wife stores home videos to our mythserver via SMB... then runs
the update from the frontend.  But if we used upnp instead of the frontend,
I may be looking for a similar solution.

It would be nice if the backend had an option to allow it to automatically
update whenever files in the videos storage groups changed.  It could
replace the, arguably pointless, browse filesystem mode.