[mythtv-users] CETON InfiniTV 4 PCIe with Tuning Adapter

William Korb korb at qisc.com
Sun Apr 14 16:38:05 UTC 2013

Hello Myth Users,

I have just installed a CETON InfiniTV 4 PCIe in my backend with a CableCARD
from Charter. I was able to get the card paired, and tests using mplayer as
described in the README show that I am receiving programming and it can be viewed.

Another package on the vendor's Linux page was Tuning Adapter Drivers,
including the ctntad command. Charter uses SDV extensively in my area, so it
is imperative that I get this working in my installation.

After some mucking about (downloading, building, and installing various
libraries that are required by ctntad) I was able to get it compiled and
installed, and running it with the --list-tas option shows the TA supplied by
Charter:

6# ctntad --list-tas
Starting ctntad 0.2.0
Found Motorola Tuning Adapter on bus 4 address 2

I then took a WAG and just ran ctntad with no arguments (since documentation
is extremely sparse, I didn't know what else to do) and it is doing
*something*, but I don't know if it's actually doing what it's supposed to.
Here's the output:

10# ctntad
Starting ctntad 0.2.0
found ta on bus 4 addr 2
root device found type: 'urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:MediaRenderer:1'
root device found type: 'urn:schemas-cetoncorp-com:device:SecureContainer:1'
mocur found
paired 'uuid:89333102-EBE5-11D8-AC9A-000008068490' and 4:2
octa_enable was 0
OCTAInit 1
mocur -> ta: 0 bytes
ta comm error 0
octa init complete
ta comm error 1
reset ta
reset done
usb reset complete finished
ta comm error 0
mocur -> ta: 59 bytes
ta -> mocur: 31 bytes
mocur -> ta: 7 bytes
root device found type: 'urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:MediaServer:1'
ta -> mocur: 12 bytes
ta -> mocur: 17 bytes
mocur -> ta: 4372 bytes
ta -> mocur: 133 bytes
mocur -> ta: 7 bytes
ta -> mocur: 8 bytes
mocur -> ta: 7 bytes
ta -> mocur: 17 bytes
mocur -> ta: 7 bytes
ta -> mocur: 17 bytes
mocur -> ta: 7 bytes
ta -> mocur: 17 bytes
mocur -> ta: 7 bytes
ta -> mocur: 17 bytes
mocur -> ta: 7 bytes
ta -> mocur: 17 bytes
mocur -> ta: 7 bytes
ta -> mocur: 17 bytes
ta comm error 1
reset ta
reset done
ta comm error 0
usb reset complete finished
mocur -> ta: 59 bytes
ta -> mocur: 31 bytes
mocur -> ta: 7 bytes
ta -> mocur: 12 bytes
ta -> mocur: 17 bytes
mocur -> ta: 4372 bytes
ta -> mocur: 133 bytes
mocur -> ta: 7 bytes
ta -> mocur: 8 bytes
mocur -> ta: 7 bytes
ta -> mocur: 17 bytes

I am running the ceton_cci_scanner.pl Perl script that Ron Frazier wrote
(thanks Ron!) to see what channels are available in my area, and I'm wondering
if that is the source of the periodic "mocur -> ta" & "ta -> mocur" output.

Since none of this is in the MythTV wiki page dealing with this card, I'd like
to enhance the documentation by adding a section on using the itv4 with a TA,
so any insight that can be offered would be much appreciated.

If there's any existing documentation on this, I haven't been able to find it,
so if you know of any, I'd appreciate a link.

Thanks,
Bill