[mythtv-users] 0.26 and Fedora 18 crash-n-burn?

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Mon Apr 15 17:05:37 UTC 2013

On 04/13/2013 09:46 PM, Rich West wrote:
> On 4/13/2013 6:06 PM, Jerry wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 4:58 PM, Rich West <Rich.West at wesmo.com
>> <mailto:Rich.West at wesmo.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 4/13/2013 3:50 PM, HP-mini wrote:
>>     > This pops up..
>>     > http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2013-January/345762.html
>>     > The advice was:
>>     >>>> There was a significant fix for PVR-XXX cards that went into master
>>     >>>> and 0.26-fixes and 0.25-fixes on or about 29 November last year
>>     >>>> [2012].  Anyone with one of these cards should ensure they are
>>     >>>> running reasonable current code.
>>
>>     Thanks!  Reading that post sounds exactly like what I am going through, so
>>     there might be hope yet...
>>
>>     All I can think of, though, is "Oh, great.." :(
>>
>>     I'm running 0.26 via RPMfusion RPMS which are supposedly from April of
>>     this
>>     year.  I looked at going back to atrpms, but I'm only seeing 0.25.3 built
>>     back in October over there.  Gahh.. the though of having to go back to
>>     0.25.3 after having upgraded *everything* in the house (that's four
>>     clients)
>>     and the database..
>>
>>     ugh.. this.. is.. terrible... doesn't look like I have a lot of options..
>>     downloading the 0.26.0 fixes branch and rolling my own RPM is probably the
>>     better method but equally as painful.
>>

>> My two cents:
>>
>> I'm fairly certain that the newer 0.26.0-7 RPMs on rpmfusion have
>> incorporated the PVR-XXX fix.  I was having live TV issues until the most
>> recent RPM build.  They have gone away.  I have a PVR-500 for my analog
>> channels.  I don't have any PVR-150s so I can't give you any more input
>> than that.
>>
>> Good luck!
>> Jerry
> Thanks, Jerry.  Believe it or not, the 0.26.0-7 RPMS were the ones I was
> running.  After dabbling with rolling my own (and dieing inside a little
> just at the thought), I gave it a shot at rolling back to the 0.26.0-4 RPMS
> from RPMfusion.  Amazingly, it worked.. I'm getting recordings now and able
> to view LiveTV (don't normally use LiveTV at all, but it is a good test)..
> I'm not keeping my hopes up just yet, though.. I'm keeping a close eye on
> things before I celebrate.

Just to close the loop on this entirely..

I continued to experience weird problems with Fedora 18 and mythtv for
the backend, even with the older RPMS.  I finally tossed my hands up in
the air and gave it one last shot: I pulled out an old drive and
installed Fedora 17 on it with the latest RPMfusion RPMS.

I've had the system running for about a day without it locking up or
crashing.  *phew*

So.. long story short, after more pain than it was worth, I have joined
the camp of people who have been saying that F18 is too buggy.

-Rich