[mythtv-users] Hauppage Nova-TD and failed recordings

mythtv . mythtv at harley-jones.co.uk
Wed Apr 17 08:25:04 UTC 2013

On 17 April 2013 09:10, Another Sillyname <anothersname at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Can we all be clear that we're talking about the USB version of the TD
> here and not the PCI TD 500 card, having spent a LOT of time recently
> trying to get the USB version working properly I've come to realise in
> mailing list postings and forum comments sometimes people end up talking
> about their experience with the other card.
>
> Out of interest is there anyone on the list who's used/using the USB Dual
> TD in the Crystal Palace transmitter area?
>
> If you're still using it do you have to use any attenuators or other
> bodges to get the tuning to work properly and produce a constantly stable
> device?
>
> Which version of the Kernel are you using?
>
> What does:-
>
> modinfo dvb_usb_dib0700 report back?
>
> If other people have tried to use this device has your experience been
> it's not worked in myth but has worked with other linux apps (vlc, mplayer,
> etc.....)
>
> Thanks in advance.

I have 2 versions of the Hauppauge USB Nova-TD dual tuner sticks and both
ahve worked out of the box with my MythTV setup from day one. I have from
the outset used Mythbuntu and apologies but I am not at my machine to
verify kernels etc but have moved through various upgrades seamlessly to my
now current 12.04LTS release with MythTV 0.26 (and last updated a month or
so ago...I tend not to update my system unless I really feel the need...if
it aint broke dont fix it).

I have the older USB stick with 1 standard (Belling lee) antenna socket on
the end and one of the smaller connectors on the side and also the current
stick with the 2 smaller conectors and the flying lead to combine them onto
1 antenna input. They are subtly different in terms of receiver
sensitivity. In my previous house i needed an amplifier for one of the
 sticks (cant remember which way round it is). Since moving I now have line
of sight and found that the other stick was being swamped with the signal
yet the amplifier still helped the other. It is a cheap ebay mains fed
indoor amp with 4 outputs feeding the TV directly etc. So my current setup
uses the output of the amplifier directly to feed one stick and the TV and
the third output goes through a variable attenuator (cheap ebay job again)
to feed the other stick. When they switched off the analogue and upped the
power I had to turn up the attenuation.

My system reports between 70% and 100% signal strength and works fine.

Martin