[mythtv-users] Hauppage Nova-TD and failed recordings

HP-mini blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz
Wed Apr 17 19:53:22 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-04-17 at 20:03 +0100, Simon Waldman wrote:
> Thanks for the various replies. Apologies if this breaks anybody's
> threading, but I'm going to reply to them all at once.
>

> The warm start issue sounds promising - I shall look into this when
> time permits (probably the weekend). The machine does actually
> shutdown, not stand by or hibernate, but it's possible that the USB
> port remains powered

> That was with an old version of Ubuntu, so I don't imagine modinfo
> would be much use for you now?
>

> Thanks for all the replies. I shall investigate them at the weekend
> and report back!

The modprobe module options for the nova tuners looks the same on latest
v4l-dvb install compared to 5 yrs ago.

I know your tuner is USB but note that:
The PCI versions nova-t-500 & 500td are both dual tuners on an
integrated USB hub. So there is a lot of similarity.

I gut feeling is that the PCI nova-t-500 has poor sensitivity & suffers
from gain compression.
So a frequency selective antenna or trap for any strong FM/VHF.
CODFM (dvb-t) (by design) works well with multi-path & (therefore)
ganged array antennas in urban canyons.