[mythtv-users] multiple instances of mythpreviewgen and high load average

Tony Sauri hoiho.nz at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 01:04:25 UTC 2013

On 18/04/13 10:12, Nick Rout wrote:
> Running myth 0.25 (mythbuntu 12.04) on a fairly lowly cpu (Celeron
> something) and getting a lot of mythpreviewgen running, up to six-10
> instances. This seems to happen when going into recordings on a frontend
> or via mythweb.
>
> When this happens the load average shoots up and the backend grinds to a
> halt, frontend (dofferent machine, wired lan) starts to stutter,
> presumably due to backend misbehaviour. sudo killall mythpreviewgen
> brings it back into line, but is not wife, kid or even me friendly when
> I am sitting down to watch the news and have to get up, fire up the
> laptop, diagnose, kill, etc... Awfully bad for the digestion.
>
> I recall seeing some stuff about this on the list a while ago but my
> searching is yielding no prospects.
>
> Is there an easy fix? Sorry posting from work, so if exact versions are
> an issue, I will post them tonight. I am on mythbuntu repos and updated
> maybe 2-4 weeks ago.

Does this help?

@ post 15
there is this nugget:

I found this on my box; ISTR that it used to work but I haven't bothered
with it recently.
cat /usr/bin/mythpreviewgen.wrap
#!/bin/bash

# Script to reduce CPU impact of preview generation at the end of a
recording.
# mv /usr/bin/mythpreviewgen /usr/bin/mythpreviewgen.real
# copy this script to /usr/bin/mythpreviewgen and make it executable,
# chmod 755 /usr/bin/mythpreviewgen
# http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/492811#492811

ionice -c3 nice mythpreviewgen.real "$@"