[mythtv-users] Sudden 'disappearance' of dvb tuners

HP-mini blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz
Sat Apr 20 19:52:00 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-04-20 at 11:45 +0100, John Pilkington wrote:
> I just rebooted my Fedora 17/MythTV 0.25.3 main box after upgrades that
> included kde 4.10.2 and dvb-apps.  Mythbackend couldn't see any tuners.
> dmesg showed the pci cards ok but no firmware load for the usb device.
>
> Mythtvsetup didn't see the cards either, until I tried running femon for
> each adapter.  pci cards then worked, usb not found.  Unplug/replug usb;
> firmware loaded and it's probably ok.
>
> Someone else posted recently about tuners that worked ok after being
> used once, but I haven't relocated the post.  This feels similar.
>
> This box is non-standard at present because the f17 nVidia packages that
> I would like aren't at ATrpms, so I'm still running an f16 kernel - and
> wondering where to go next!
>
> John P
Could just be warm start (no firmware reload) was problem with dvb-apps
update tho that seems very unlikely. And the f/w almost never changes.

You could try building v4l-dvb from source..
http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_Obtain,_Build_and_Install_V4L-DVB_Device_Drivers

The "basic" approach is fairly easy..

I recall having to disable some IR remotes to get this to build on
2.6.32 kernel..