[mythtv-users] question about news feed parsing

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Sun Apr 28 15:48:36 UTC 2013

On 28/04/13 13:47, Vincent McIntyre wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> (system: combined be+fe, no vdpau, mythbuntu 12.04.2 LTS, myth
> v0.26.0-138-g69cd78b)
>
> I am seeking some input in understanding an issue that I see in mythnews.
> I have it set up to read an ABC news feed [1] and it does most of it fine;
> grabs the xml, shows the top level descriptions.
>
> The issue comes when I select a news item to read in full -
> there is a long pause, around 20 seconds, and "nothing" happens.
> I can't move around the screen with the remote during the 20 seconds,
> then the screen blinks (perhaps a window appears and closes really fast,
> ie < 0.3sec). Then I am back to the list of headlines for the feed.
>
> Other news feeds (eg BBC, Reuters, 0.26-fixes) are just fine.
> This feed _used_ to be fine, until a few months ago.
> I watched what was happening in mythfrontend.log while trying to view
> the full text of an item and it looks like an error in parsing the feed -
> it is asking for a .jpeg file to be opened as a video stream?
> Also the mismatch in sizes is real, when I wget the file being complained
> about it is indeed 88502 bytes long.
>
> My questions:
>   - is there a known issue in mythnews with parsing <media:group> elements?
>     A search of trac turns up only #9856 which looks unrelated.
>     I checked my feeds that work and none have media:group elements.
>   - I expect the xml must be validated by the publishers before it goes out,
>     but does anyone see anything gravely amiss with it?
>
> Cheers
> Vince
> ---

Looks like they are using the Media RSS extension which we only
partially support. We assume that anything in a media:content section is
a video we can play but in this case they contain images. We should be
using the 'medium' or 'type' attributes to filter out anything that is
not a video but we don't. We do extract the 'type' but don't do anything
with it. I would be easier to use the 'medium' attribute and just ignore
anything that isn't a video. See
http://www.rssboard.org/media-rss#media-content for details.

At least you can download the feed it doesn't work at all here using
master I get this error NewsSite: HTTP Protocol Error  Explanation: 0:
Moved Permanently when I try.

Paul H.