[mythtv-users] update recordings database?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Apr 30 02:03:23 UTC 2013

On 04/29/2013 09:40 PM, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 1:32 PM, wrote:
>
>> Hi, I was experimenting recently and in the process of rolling-back
>> some changes, I overwrote my myth recordings database. The result is
>> that I have 10 days of recordings on the hdd that the backend has no
>> information on.
>>
>> Question: how can I add the information on these recordings back to
>> the database?
>>

> Go to one of the backups made druing the 10 day period?

And if you didn't do any backups during those 10 days, the only
supported solution is to put those recordings into the Video Library.
Video Library is the location for user-managed video (i.e. video where
the user provides file name, directory/storage organization) as well as
user-provided video (i.e. not-recorded by "this" MythTV
instance--meaning not already in the Watch Recordings section).

If you don't like the idea of some parts of the series being in Watch
Recordings and some parts in Video Library, you have 2 options:  1) let
MythTV re-record the episodes when/if they re-air or 2) move all the
rest of the episodes of that series to Video Library.  Note that moving
recordings to Video Library has huge benefits, including better support
for large collections of video (Watch Recordings become very cumbersome
when you have a lot of recordings), better
navigability/sorting/filtering (without having to go back and forth
between Watch Recordings and frontend settings to change it), the
ability to use meaningful file names (that allow you to identify the
content even if you lose the MythTV database), ability to organize the
videos how you like (using directories to provide hierarchical
organization), excellent metadata support, and more.  IMHO, anyone who
keeps recordings--rather than watching and immediately deleting the
recording--should seriously consider moving those recordings to Video
Library.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/519758#519758

Note that you can use mythvidexport.py to help you move the recordings.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythvidexport.py

There are a couple of versions that have some updates for 0.26 out
there, and I expect the wiki version will get an update before long (now
that mythtranscode's lossless cutting is working, again, the author has
started using mythvidexport.py, again, to archive some shows).

Mike