[mythtv-users] recordinng profile based on channel

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 03:27:18 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 3:14 AM, Larry Roberts <mythtv at american-hero.com> wrote:
> I do have a question around recording profiles.  After adding my HDHomeRun I
> have several recording profiles listed under a HDHomeRun Recorders.  While
> they have several listed they appear to have no settings.  Any ideas what
> that is all about and when/if I should change them?  I see under the
> transcoders I can change some transcoding options but the HDHomeRun has no
> settings.  Perhaps this is what I was thinking of above.

Your PVR-250 actually took an analog signal, logically drew it
it on a virtual screen, and than encoded that screen to an MPEG-2
stream from the video in various qualities, which were specified
as recording profiles (over simplification, but good enough).

With the current HDHomeRun (and most other digital style tuners),
the device just tunes the frequency, and then decodes the bitstream
(QAM for cable, 8VSB for ATSC in the US) and passes it to the
client (in this case, MythTV).  No decoding/encoding takes place
in the tuner.  So, there are no recording profiles that matter.  What
the broadcaster sends, you get (whether SD or HD quality).  In
many cases, for most broadcasters, there is both a SD and a
HD version of the content.  You will need to make sure that
MythTV chooses the correct source for your system (that is
usually the HD version, but there are always exceptions).

Gary