[mythtv-users] Lirc transmitters on kernel 3.8.x

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Aug 1 09:10:08 UTC 2013

On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 23:04:23 +0100, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I had posted this on lirc mailing list but did not get any response.
>Apoligies for going offtopic, but i am using lirc for mythtv so there is
>some relevance :)
>
>I am presently running a very old SuSe distribution (11.3) which has a
>2.6.34 kernel. I have two lirc devices (mceusb driver),
>
>#Bus 004 Device 002: ID 1784:0001 TopSeed Technology Corp.
>#Bus 004 Device 003: ID 1784:0001 TopSeed Technology Corp.
>
>which i use to control 4 set-top boxes. I am at present running two
>separate lircd sessions to control these devices.
>
>Maintaining such an old distro is becoming a pain and so i am considering
>upgrading to gentoo with a kernel 3.8.13 and lirc 0.9.0. Since some of the
>lirc functionality has now been moved in the kernel, I am not sure if i
>still need to run two lircd session. Is it possible to control two devices
>independently on a recent kernel (two transmitters on each device)?
>
>Thanks

I am currently running Mythbuntu 12.04 on 3.2.0 kernel and the big
change where the lirc drivers moved into the kernel was well before
that.  The changes (big ones) were in how the all my IR remotes worked
- I had to do completely new configurations for them, and it took ages
to get them exactly right again.  But my mceusb IR transmitter worked
with virtually the same lirc config.  I only have one IR transmitter
though, so I have no idea how running two affects things.