[mythtv-users] What ate my mythtv executables?

Ian Oliver lists at foxhill.co.uk
Mon Aug 5 08:33:49 UTC 2013

OK, not directly mythtv in all likelihood, but I'll be brief.

I'm setting up a totally new combined fe/be with 12.04 LTS and Mythtv
0.26 with a view to moving this install to my main system once it's
stable. The install and initial config all went well and it was tuning
and recording, so I moved onto playing with remote and audio.

Anyway, after a reboot, the frontend wouldn't start. Nor the backend.
The reason was that /usr/bin/mythbackend, /usr/bin/mythfrontend.real
and /usr/lib/libmythtv-0.26.so.0 were all missing!

According to apt, the packages were still installed, and my bash
history didn't know any fluffed commands. I did get an fdisk error
during one reboot and went for the option of F for fix, but the boot
then proceeded normally.

Is it really this easy to lose vital files from and ext4 partition?

Thanks

Ian