[mythtv-users] 0.25 to 0.26 upgrade issue with MYSQL

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Aug 6 13:32:04 UTC 2013

On 08/06/2013 09:26 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 08/04/2013 09:21 PM, Yeechang Lee wrote:
>> I recently had to recreate my database from backup and found that,
>> contrary to the various instructions (such as
>> <URL:http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV-HOWTO_-_0.26>),
>>
>>       grant all on mythconverg.* to mythtv@"%.mydomain.com" identified
>>       by "mythtv";
>>
>> was insufficient to let mythbackend connect to the database on the
>> same machine. I had to specify the hostname with
>>
>>       grant all on mythconverg.* to mythtv@"hostname.mydomain.com"
>>       identified by "mythtv";
>>
>> I didn't edit the wiki because as a MySQL non-expert there is likely
>> something I'm missing that does permit the first line to work, but
>> there you go.
>
> The first line will work as long as there are no other existing
> more-specific permissions that cover the host in question.
>
> So, if you have a system with an empty users table and do:

Here's a better example:

   grant all on mythconverg.* to mythtv@"hostname.mydomain.com"
identified by "differentpassword";

followed by:

   grant all on mythconverg.* to mythtv@"%.mydomain.com" identified by
"mythtv";

followed by the obligatory:

   flush privileges;

then attempting to log in to the mysql server from hostname.mydomain.com
with the password mythtv will fail because the grant for the
more-specific hostname.mydomain.com used a differentpassword.

(I should have showed a password-difference, as that's what users are
seeing, but is still quite understandable.)

Mike