[mythtv-users] frontend issues after upgrade

Dan Kressin dkressin at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 7 15:41:41 UTC 2013

I just completed a big upgrade from Ubuntu 7.04 (.20.2+fixes) -> 10.04 (.23+fixes).  Looking for feedback on some FE issues:

1) The screen size wizard used to be "reduce-only" and had a reset
option to start over.  In 10.04 / .23+fixes, I don't see the reset
option.  Is it back in 12.04 / {current}, or what is the best way to start over?
2) When configuring
autologin for the FE, it does not offer the 'mythtv' user in the
drop-down, only my "normal" user (dkressin).  Is there some UID
filtering going on here?  (mythtv is 107, dkressin is 1000)  It works
fine if I manually put mythtv in /etc/gdm/custom.conf.
3) In 7.04, my FE was configured to automatically login the 'mythtv' user and auto-start mythtv-frontend.  If I exited mythtv-frontend, the session would logout and return to the GDM login screen.  I'd like to restore this behavior.  The updated system is using XFCE (vs OpenBox, think - it's been a while) and it leaves me at the desktop rather than logging out.  Pointers on this are appreciated.  (The system is a combined FE/BE and is never used as a desktop.)
4) No matter what theme I choose in the theme browser, the FE interface retains (what I think is) the Terra look.  Notably, when i chose blootube-wide, the background appeared to update as expected and then was replaced by Terra.  Thoughts?  Should I try removing/re-adding the FE role?

I will eventually continue the upgrade to 12.04 / {current}+fixes, but I need to clear some space first.  In the meantime, I'd like to deal with as many of the above issues as possible.

Thanks!
-Dan